Previously known as Libdemchild

Friday 8 March 2013

What the Lib Dem's stand for - my response to Linda Jack

I am honoured to have been passed a baton by Linda Jack as part of a Meme (an idea that passes from person to person) on 'what the Lib Dems stand for'.  I have spent two days thinking about this in some depth. Since I became a member of the party 3 years ago at the age of 10 I have seen the party go from 'a vote for the Lib Dems is a wasted vote' to us going into coalition and making decisions as part of Government. Now, that's something for me to tell my grandchildren. Being a Lib Dem is an exciting part of my life. Liberalism is part of my life.

I believe the party stands for:  'fairness, equality and community'. 

Fairness- It's been a roller coaster ride so far.  Sometimes I am extremely thrilled at the decisions taken like lowering the tax threshold and a commitment to green issues; and then at other times being really angry at the unfair welfare reforms that especially target the vulnerable and disabled. Ironically, I have often thought to myself that if the Lib Dems were not in government, I would actually wish that we were so as to be able to make a difference to those suffering from welfare cuts. At these moments of negative thoughts I have despaired that we are actually in government making life difficult for the disabled through a whole range of cuts. Basically, I have a problem with welfare reform.

Equality - Everybody is given a fair start and supported in the necessary way for them to be able to participate in society. For example, schools in poorer areas are given extra support and guidance to help the pupils have a fair start in life. The equal marriage bill which has received massive Lib Dem support.

Community - demonstrated at local levels by our superb councillors who are in tune with the needs of their local communities; and party campaigners who work to deliver Focus, make phone calls and attend endless 'Politics & Pizza' events where they donate money and exchange brilliant ideas.

As a young party member I am proud to be a Liberal Democrat. Liberalism consists of the values of 'fairness, equality and community' which the protesters in the Arab Spring and countless other protest movements are fighting for. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig